You can find this article on my new and improved site, http://astrolady.wix.com/astrolady
There are numerous ways of predicting the beginning of a relationship. One of the most reliable indications is when an outer planet (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune or Pluto) makes an aspect to your natal Venus, the ruler of your 5th house, and/or the ruler of your 7th house. For this section, I will only refer to transits to natal Venus, but you can apply these transits to the ruler of your 5th and/or 7th houses, as well.
Outer planets transiting your natal Venus: often indicate the beginning (or ending- depending on the transit) of a relationship. The planet transiting your Venus and the aspect that planet makes to your Venus will tell you what kind of relationship will come into your life. Let’s review the nature of the outer planets, and discuss the type of relationship that will enter your life when it makes an aspect to your natal Venus.
- Jupiter: When Jupiter conjuncts, sextiles, trines, opposes, or squares your Venus, your desire for a partner and loving feelings expand. Jupiter is the planet of abundance, good luck, and expansion. Jupiter thus expands your love sector during this time and increases your opportunities for romance. This is especially true for the conjunction, trine and sextile aspects. With the square and opposition, you may take foolish risks in love. While Jupiter transits, on their own, do not necessarily indicate the beginning of a long-term, life changing romance, it can indicate a positive time for dating and creating new social connections.
- Saturn: is the planet of restriction, realism, commitment, and hard work. When Saturn conjuncts, sextiles, or trines your natal Venus, you become more serious about settling down and are attracted to stable, mature relationships. Indeed, this is a very commitment-friendly transit because you are more attracted to long-term relationships. Many people find themselves settling down or reinforcing commitments to their partners during this time. If you begin a relationship at this time, it is likely to be serious and long-lasting. Strong Saturn contact should show up in composite and synastry charts, and your partner is likely to have strong Saturn/Capricorn aspects in his/her chart.
- Uranus: When Uranus aspects your natal Venus by transit, you crave excitement in your relationships. Uranus often brings us non-traditional relationships/partners (i.e. partners from a different culture, background, etc.), which usually begin (and end) very suddenly. Timing Uranus transits is very simple, as events tend to occur at the time Uranus makes an exact aspect to your Venus (by exact, I mean the aspect is within 11 minutes of exact). Uranus-Venus relationships are characterized as sudden, impermanent, non-traditional, and exciting. What usually happens is a sudden encounter with the “man/woman of your dreams”, and the native often experiences “love at first sight”. The energy between the two is electric and exciting, but not stable, and the relationship often lacks any real commitment. Uranus transits serve to jolt us awake through events that force us to throw out any previous behaviors or habits we tend to cling to. This is especially true for emotionally clingy, needy people, or people who are inherently stable and afraid of change. Uranus relationships are difficult to control, and manipulative tactics are completely useless in getting what we want out of the relationship. The native must learn to “let go” of expectations and control, or he or she will suffer greatly from this transit. Because Uranus is characterized by impermanence and excitement, many find that relationships begun under this influence often end when the initial spark fizzles and one of the partners gets bored and feels the need to move on. Sometimes, when the transit is over, the native may say, “what was I thinking, being in that relationship?” due to the fact that partners are generally chosen for the fact that they are “different” and “exciting”, rather than suitable, which becomes more and more apparent as Uranus moves away from their natal Venus. This period can also be marked by increased promiscuity on the part of the native. Uranus on one’s Venus increases one’s magnetism, so the likelihood of meeting several partners increases. A good friend of mine characterised her Uranus opposite Venus transits as: “Lots of one-night stands, and lots of partying.” This is especially true with the conjunction, square and opposition. Sextiles and trines are generally more stable influences, but have that Uranian spark to them nonetheless. The partners you find under this transit are generally Aquarius or Uranian, or the syanstry or composite charts have strong Aquarian/Uranian influences.
- Neptune: When Neptune aspects your natal Venus, your sensitivity and compassion towards others increases. Neptune represents delusion, illusion, dreams, addictions, and self-sacrifice. Under this influence, you are more likely to “see what you want” in partners, which can often lead to disappointment once the transit is over. Under this transit, we are wearing rose-colored glasses; we see beauty in all people, and only want to think the best of them. This influence often brings a relationship into our lives, and we often believe this person is our soul mate. We idealize the person and make excuses for their faults, and ignore indications that the person is anything less than perfect. Relationship behaviors we would not normally approve of are now regarded as acceptable. If the aspect is a conjunction, square, or opposition, the native must be extra careful to not over-idealize the partner and ignore red flags, as the threat of deception is strong. As Neptune moves away from Venus, the native becomes less enchanted by their mate; the native begins to see the person as they really are, which often leads to disappointment. The end of the transit can also manifest in the discovery of infidelity on the part of the partner; the native ignored red flags and made excuses for their partner’s behavior instead of facing the truth about the situation. The partners you find under this influence are generally Piscean, or have strong Neptune in the chart. The Synastry and Composite charts generally have strong Neptune or Pisces aspects/placement.
- Pluto: When Pluto transits your natal Venus, you are no longer satisfied with superficial relationship; you want something deep, complex, and consuming. Pluto is the planet of “death”, therefore there is usually a death of some kind in regards to relationships (i.e. death of an existing relationship, death of previous relationship behaviours). For example this influence can also bring about an affair, or finding out one’s partner has been having an affair. This is a very “sexy” transit, and the attractions you have during this transit are often intense and obsessive, and sexual drives are generally strong. Under this influence, you often meet a person with whom you have a life-changing and complex relationship. You feel magically drawn to this person, and might not understand why. This is because Pluto represents the unconscious, so your feelings for this person are generally the result of unconscious forces you find difficult to control. You might feel obsessed and possessive over this person, as Pluto brings an “all or nothing” energy to your relationships. Power struggles are thus common under this influence. The physical component of the relationship is generally very strong; the need for physical closeness under this transit is intense. Pluto also represents the taboo, and the forbidden, so one is often attracted to unavailable partners under the influence of this transit (i.e. married, gay/lesbian, people from different areas). One thing this transit guarantees is personal evolution; we evolve through these relationships, as they uncover areas of our personalities we often keep hidden, and will teach you about personal intimacy. If partners separate, the passion and intensity they once shared is difficult to forget. The relationships under this transit can also be financially or sexually exploitative, or even emotionally/sexually abusive, as Pluto represents domination, power, and control. The people you attract under this influence are generally Scorpio-like/Plutonian, and the synastry often reveals strong Pluto aspects and/or Scorpio placements.